Sunday, September 13, 2009

My trip to Maryboring (Maryborough)

I woke up at 5:30 last Monday morning. I wasn't previously aware that there was a 5:30 in the morning. Last time I woke up at that time, I had a small freak-out, thinking I'd accidentally slept until the late afternoon, before realising there are twenty-four hours in the day, and it was unlikely that I'd been asleep for seventeen of them. I was woken, an hour before my alarm was due to go off, by a small herd of elephants in the house above my head. Well, it sounded like a herd of elephants, it was actually a one-year-old running back and forth at great speed. I don't know whose idea it was to take the baby out of her cot at half-five in the morning, but I'm going to have him/her stuffed and mounted when I get back to the Gold Coast.
I stumbled out of bed at 6:45AM. I dragged myself upstairs and I ate half a punnet of strawberries and some plain corn chips for breakfast, not wanting to actually cook before my day of travelling. I gave the baby half a strawberry, and she ran around the house with it in her hand for about twenty minutes, before squishing it into her hair.
I hugged the five-year-old and told her I was going away, before racing out the door to run to the bus at five to eight.
I don't travel well on buses. They are not good for my stomach. I got to the train station and threw up at the bus stop. I then threw up on the train platform and in the bathroom, a very long way from a toilet or a sink. I didn't feel any better, but had run out of things to throw up, when I looked at my watch and saw there was only five minutes before my train pulled up. I ran back out to the platform, looking like death in a microwave, and waited for the train to the train to the other bus.
The train trip to Brisbane was good, not so sick-y. I arrived at the Roma St. Transit Centre at 10:05-ish. I had almost an hour before the tilt train left to take me to Maryborough, so I wandered around for a while. I still felt sick, so I didn't want to even think about food, but I was hungry, so I bought some sort of purple drink that implied it's good for hangovers... I felt a little better when I drank that (no, I wasn't, it's just very vitamin-y juice stuff).
I tried to send my Mum a text message from a pay phone because I'm cheap, and it's actually cheaper to send a text from a pay phone than from my mobile, but it refused to send. After I grumbled for a while and sent the text from my mobile, I took my ticket out to check the details. It was in my hand, and then all of a sudden, I couldn't find it anywhere. This was most unsettling for me, as I'd never travelled by train before. It was all ok- the very hot guy at the traveltrain office printed me a new ticket, and this one was stapled to a nice cardboard thingy, which you don't get if you print the ticket yourself- very swish!

I arrived at the Maryborough West train station at about half-two in the afternoon. A big sign at the station says "You are now entering Maryborough, Queensland's friendliest town" Which leads me to think, "What!? Was every other town full of emos or on fire or something on voting day?" Yeah... most Maryborough people don't do much for me.

Since I've been here in Maryborough I've seen all the people who made my life here beautiful, especially my cats. Maybe I'm a crazy cat lady too, but I'm allowed to be, I think it's genetic.
I've been to Childers. That's a nice little town, it's about half-way between Maryborough and Bundeberg. I bought new sunglasses there, which I've needed for some time. These ones have big frames, which are necessary due to my freakishly large, almost frog-like eyes. I also got myself "Goddess Diana" incense, which confuses me because it's got musk in it which I really don't like, but it's also got vanilla in it, which I really do like... It's very complicated living in my head. Everything is a drama and I like to make things as hard for myself as possible.

Last night was the last ever church service for my church here in Maryborough. That's the main reason I was up here. I cried so much that when Mum and I got home, I had to listen to "Rockin' Robin" five times, just to make the pain go away!
My church was the Angels of Light Christian Spiritualist Church. It has to close as we know it because our Reverend is leaving for family reasons, and nobody can take her place. It wouldn't be the same without her, anyway.

Today I'm going to Hervey Bay. I'll be shopping at Target for the first time in ages (there's not a Target within an easy walk from my home in Southport) I'm quite excited, and I'm hoping to buy a Space Bag to put all my clothes in to take with me down to the Gold Coast. I've basically been wearing the same ten or twelve things for the last year, which is just not right for a lady!

Signed with love,
The Pretty Kitty.

No comments: